We all know how the image is one of the most key elements in social media. Whether it’s your travel businesses Facebook page or illustrating a post, it can always be a bit hit and miss when some text on the image or parts of a logo get cut off. Going back and forth into your image editor trying to wing it and getting that cropped image right is time consuming right?
Bookmark this post. Here’s our comprehensive guide on whether landscape is better than portrait and what the recommended social media image sizes and dimensions should be used for Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and TikTok.
Still the most widely used social platform, Facebook has always been visual. Stay on the human side of your travel brand and aim not to be too commercially driven in the image approach you use. You’ll get more response by aligning yourself to your ideal customer.
Recommended Facebook Image Dimensions
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 820 x 312
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook highlighted image size: 1200 x 717
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1005
- Facebook group cover image size: 1640 x 856
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Facebook video length: 240 minutes
- Facebook image ad size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1080 x 1350 (ratio 4:5), at least 1080 x 1080, ratios from 16:9 to 9:16 are also supported
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
- Facebook messenger image ad size: 1200 x 628
Instagram is still a very visual centric network even though headlines have been given more weight to IG stories lately. Inherently, the image platform can still allow marketers to garner more eyeballs using static imagery. Aim to produce images that maximise peoples feeds on mobile so use vertical or square formats, but having a variety now of using landscape formats, being more critical about which format to use should be a decision you make early. You wouldn’t want your feed looking disproportionate.
Recommended Instagram Image Dimensions
- Instagram profile picture size: 110 x 110
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Recommended Instagram video sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square) 1080 x 567 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Carousel posts & ads: 1080 x 1080 (square) recommended, 1080 x 566 (landscape) and 1080 x 1350 (portrait) are also supported, can be video or static image
- Maximum Instagram video length: 60 seconds
- Instagram photo thumbnails: 161 x 161
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1080 (square)
- Instagram IGTV video size: 1080 x 1920
- IGTV Cover Photo Size: 420 x 654
- Instagram Reels: 1080 x 1920
With one of the fastest moving feeds of any social platform, Twitter posts with images attract 150% click through rates over tweets that are simply text. Create images that are thought provoking yet easy to read.
Recommended Twitter image dimensions:
- Twitter profile picture size: 400 x 400
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1200 x 675
- Minimum Twitter card image size: 120 x 120
- Twitter video size: 1280 x 1084
- Maximum Twitter video length: 140 seconds
- Twitter image size for ads: 800 x 418 (Website card), 800 x 800 (App card image), 800 x 800 (Carousels), 800 x 418 (Direct Message card), 800 x 418 (Conversation card)
- Twitter ad size (video): 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait) Length: 12 seconds or less (recommended), 2 minutes and 20 seconds (maximum)
- Video Thumbnail Image – 640 x 360 (minimum), should match the size of the video (recommended)
- Twitter image sizes for fleets: 1080 x 1920
The smaller details on a YouTube channel will make all the difference. Making sure you’re uploading high resolution content will also make the difference between channel hits or misses. Pay attention to the various device sizes your content will be consumed on and you can refine the channel accordingly. The second largest search engine in the world built by the algorithm that powers the world’s largest search engine will make sure your travel brand reaches your audience, once all the pieces are in place.
Recommended YouTube image dimensions:
- YouTube profile photo size: 800 x 800
- YouTube Channel cover picture: 2560 x 1440 (desktop) and 1546 x 423 (smartphones)
- YouTube thumbnail size: 1280 x 720
- YouTube Display ads: 300 x 250
- YouTube Overlay ads: 480 x 60
- YouTube Companion banner ads: 300 x 250
- YouTube Skippable video ads length: 12 seconds to 6 minutes
- YouTube Non-skippable video ads length: 15 or 20 seconds (depends on region)
- YouTube Bumper video ads length: 6 seconds
- YouTube Standard video: Minimum dimension is 426 x 240. Max dimension is 3840 x 2160, aspect ratio 16:9
Your travel brand should shine on LinkedIn as it’s no longer considered a stage for boring suits. Clean that company brand page up with high-resolution images and stories that add the wow back into your online profile.
Recommended LinkedIn image dimensions:
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1128 x 191
- LinkedIn Dynamic Ads size: 100 x 100 (company logo)
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Life tab main image size: 1128 x 376
- LinkedIn Business Banner image: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn image sizes for blog post link images: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Stories image size: 1080 x 1920
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn background photo size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn post image size: 1200 x 1200 (square) 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- LinkedIn link post size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum LinkedIn video length: 10 minutes
The first visual platform still has enough power to drive traffic towards your brand. Travel businesses can utilise this underpriced form of attention so you can show up in inspiration feeds and when people want to discover new trends. Verticals only on this channel so maximise that feed space.
Recommended Pinterest image dimensions:
- Pinterest Profile picture: 165 x 165
- Pinterest Board Display image: 222 x 150
- Pinterest Standard Pin size: Vertical images 1000 x 1500
- Pinterest Video specs: square (1:1) or vertical (2:3, 9:16) Length: Maximum 30 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted Video: square (1:1) or widescreen (16:9) Length: Maximum 30 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted carousels: 2-5 images per carousel, aspect ratio: 1:1 or 2:3, 1000×1000 or 1000×1500
- Pinterest Story Pins image size: 1080 x 1920
- Pinterest Story Pins video length: 1-60 seconds
This video sharing app has gone crazy in uptake recently and brands have realised what opportunities can arise from short video content. The platform itself doesn’t have many options but it’s what’s under that algorithmic hood that generates so many eyeballs, especially for travel brands wanting to showcase their services or travel products.
Recommended TikTok image dimensions:
- TikTok Video: 1080 x 1920, maximum 15 seconds recommended.
- TikTok Profile photo: 200 x 200
- TikTok in-feed video ad length: 9 to 15 seconds suggested, 5 to 60 seconds allowed
- TikTok in-feed ad video aspect ratio: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9.
- TikTok in-feed ad display image size: 1:1 ratio
We’ll be updating this article intermittently as we all know, the next new thing will arrive or Instagram will add another dimension it forgot to include. For now, you have everything at your fingertips to make sure all your content images are going to be perfectly aligned and looking great, whatever platform is in your mix.